Challenging and extending students to be the best they can be.
“Let each of you look not to your own interests, but to the interests of others.”
Inspired by Jesus Christ and the model of service leadership, St John’s Catholic College provides formal and informal opportunities for students to develop their leadership skills and qualities. Grounded in the values of acceptance, compassion, courage, respect, resilience, responsibility and stewardship, students are invited to nominate for the Student Representative Committee (Years 7 - 11) and Year 12 Leadership positions of College Captain, College Vice Captain and House Captains. The process to discern Year 12 Leadership positions includes a leadership speech to students and staff, a round of voting based on the preferential voting system delivered by the Northern Territory Electoral Commission and a formal interview with the Principal. The Student Leadership Team supports the Principal in working towards the College Vision by providing positive leadership to the student body in line with College values. A key component of the role is the promotion of student wellbeing and the development of a culture of welcome where everyone belongs.
Key responsibilities include:
- Support and contribute to the successful induction of new students into the College Community.
- Promote student wellbeing by supporting students in communicating issues to Heads of House and Team Leaders.
- Provide visible leadership through active participation at masses, assemblies, carnivals, events and activities.
- Be a positive role model by living and promoting the core expectations of Stay Safe, Respect Everyone and Learn Everyday.
- Represent the College in the community at events (involves some evenings and weekends).
- Regularly attend and contribute to Student Representative Committee meetings and initiatives.
- Contribute to the development of the Year Book.